Lately
I often sing out loud, if I don't have a song in my mind, I do funny noises that
even make me laugh sometimes. Sometimes I also dance while I sing, or at the
smallest sound of music I start moving as I feel the rhythm. I smile a lot,
even if I am alone, I just feel happy and like that energy.
In addition, it feels pretty good.
Well, the other day I was being like that; happy and singing all over. Suddenly, my father found me and asked me: "why are you
so happy?" Maybe the most easiest and honest way to answer would have been: "why not?"; but the question froze me for an instant, a very long
instant.
“Why are you so happy?” I repeated the question over and over again in
my mind because I couldn't understand why someone has to ask "why are you
so happy?" For that instant it seemed like that phrase about love that
says: "love is not something you want to feel, is something you simply
feel" and period! like saying "let it be".
I must have been in a real shock because I couldn't
articulate a word while my Dad was still expecting an answer from me, staring at
me, in front on me.
I believe the same happens with happiness; you just
feel it and enjoy it and feel amazing while you are feeling it.
But that is no answer, even more when awareness is a
very important thing; therefore, at some point you do have to know why are you
so happy; you cannot let your happiness be a thing that comes to you
serendipitously, that would be like being unconscious about what makes you feel
happy.
Yes,
at some moments we all get to live wonderful and spontaneous moments of
happiness, like a surprise you didn't see coming and it does feels great.
Nonetheless, as you have to be aware of your mood, what ignites
your energy, what makes you feel awkward or whatever emotion you are
experiencing maybe even for emotional intelligence purposes; the same happens
with happiness. Being consciously aware of what makes you happy can also work
as a way of knowing what keys to press to help yourself feel better and what
sort of things might not match your energy so well.
Is not a matter of shutting down whatever does not
bring you happiness; that would be avoiding unhappiness and running away from
reality and at some point insane; in addition to the fact that, what you
resist, persist because unconsciously, that is what you are attracting. It is a matter of identifying in a conscious
way your emotions and how to handle them, so that you can be well.
Anyway, the answer I gave to my Dad at that moment
might seem now as if I was leaving happiness to randomness; I said: why you
ask me that? I am happy because I am happy, I cannot say I am happy because the
day is sunny, or because if it is rainy (I love rain), or base my happiness on
things that can change in any given moment. You don't ask a child: why are you smiling?
A child just feels something amazing inside and the best way to show how
awesome that feeling is smiling or running or shouting or jumping… The same
happens with me, something inside me makes me happy.
To some extent this answer was right; happiness comes
from the inside and is not to be based on temporary things, or it shouldn't; although
the only constant thing in life is change and therefore temporariness.
In fact, some studies have confirmed that the object
that brings happiness varies according to time and circumstance; a nice example
of that is the movie called "Hector and the search of happiness" which I will
discuss in anther blog. In any case, I believe that the person who experiences
the happiness plays also a very important role; like if you have to be open to
happiness.
How many times we still find people who fight their
emotions, even if it is happiness like someone not liking to smile because it will give her wrinkles; yes, I've heard that. Well, even if is it sadness or any other emotion you experience, probably wanting to
hide it or deny it is not the best thing to do. Awareness has to be present,
still in the cases of unpleasant emotions.
And finally happiness is also a choice; I choose to be
happy instead of gloomy. A child might not be able to get that level of
awareness yet, but you and I can and I choose to be happy because it feels much
better than the opposite.
Some think that feeling happy is a naive way to go
through life, even more if you are facing some hard times. Is not naive, there
is nothing wrong with keep on smiling regardless of whatever comes the way. You
nor anybody has to live upset or depressed because things are difficult, such
attitude will only make it worse; and attitude is and will always be crucial
mixed with intention, of course.
I invite you to choose happiness; yes, happiness can
look funny and sometimes ridiculous like singing and dancing all over or
smiling but give it a try, I am sure you will like it as well and you will
start feeling better.
Go
with happiness! (Like they say in Insurgent the movie)


No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario